Hygeia Ice Company Jug Price
$175.00 USD Condition
In Stock 1 Item #
PYH – 4302 Description
Vintage item from the 1910s
Ships worldwide from United States
The Hygeia Ice Company, located in the Sugar House neighborhood of Salt Lake City, was incorporated in 1912. This handsome salt-glazed stoneware jug is incised with the company name; the printing is very precise, which indicates a metal die was probably used. The body is beehive shaped, hand made of grey clay and given an arched, C-shaped handle. The only decoration is an inscribed ring on the neck and the beautiful orange peel surface from the salt glazing. This 2 gallon jug stands 12 inches tall, about 7 inches at its widest and weighs 5 pounds 9 ounces. Its condition is excellent; there is one shallow chip on the bottom but no cracks and the cork that’s wedged into the mouth is not the original.
The Hygeia Ice Company produced manufactured ice, also called plant ice, freezing water with mechanical equipment, rather than harvesting natural ice. It was the nation’s largest cold storage locker and the first artificial ice plant in the area. They advertised the ice was made with distilled water for purity (see photograph #5). Their equipment was used to create Utah’s first ice skating rink and a heated swimming pool. Hygeia was the Greek goddess of good health, cleanliness, and sanitation and many other companies adopted the name, including ones that made things like chalk and baby bottles.
This stoneware advertising jug is both decorative and a fine piece of history.
This is a charming vintage candy tin lithographed with the image of an Alpine weather house. According to Wikipedia, “A weather house is a folk art device in the shape of a small German or Alpine chalet that indicates the weather. A typical weather house has two doors side by side. The left side has a girl or woman, the right side a boy or man. The female figure comes out of the house when the weather is sunny and dry, while the male comes out to indicate rain.” What this has to do with candy is a puzzle, but the tin is very colorful and eye-catching so it is a good marketing ploy (it caught our eyes!) The amusing part of this is to see an Alpine weather house that is peopled by a very British man in a cutaway jacket, striped pants and wearing a monacle, and a woman very dressed up, complete with a hat and white gloves.
This handsome ice bucket dates from the 1960’s and is made of molded thick rubber, although it is so beautifully painted, it appears to be ceramic at a distance. It is made in the image of a British Yeoman Warder, a ceremonial guard at the Tower of London, commonly known as a Beefeater. He is wearing Tudor state dress, used in all Beefeater gin advertising. It’s very eye-catching, what with all the color and the excellent detail. The bucket has a lift-off lid and a removable glass liner. The word Beefeater is molded into the black rectangle at bottom front. We’ve seen some Beefeater collectibles whose faces were actually scowling, but this fellow is smiling and happy—the perfect advertisement for the British gin (which is now, incidentally, owned by a French drinks firm).
The bucket is 10 ½ inches tall (5 inches without the lid on) and 8 inches across at the widest point; front to back, it’s 6 ½ inches including the Beefeater rectangle in front. The glass insert is 5 ½ inches across and 4 ½ inches tall. He’s in really terrific condition, having only some black marks on the bottom and a tiny bit of rim roughness on the liner, which is probably from the manufacturing. There are no identifying manufacturer’s marks.
In addition to ice, you could use this bucket to serve snacks like nuts or chips. He makes a decorative, useful item for entertaining and a great addition to a barware or advertising collection.
This redheaded bathing beauty is wearing a two piece swimsuit, wedge sandals and is wondering where her date is. The tin was probably made in the 1940’s or early 50’s and created by George W. Horner & Co., Inc., Chester-le-Street, County of Durham, England. The contents of the rectangular tin were Horner’s Blue Boy Candy Treasures, pictured on the original paper label on the bottom of the tin; they appear to be wrapped hard candies. The box held a half-pound of the candies, or as they put it, 8 OZS NETT WEIGHT. The same typo is printed on the side that gives the ingredients. Both of the ends have Horner’s trademark. The company started in 1910 and closed their doors in 1960.
The tin measures 8 inches long, 5 inches wide and about 1 3/8 inches high including the lid. The lid fits snugly and there is no rust or dents or dings. There are the usual tiny scratches but they do not affect the graphics. The back has a lot of the shine rubbed off, but the tin really is in lovely condition overall.
Great gift for the advertising tin collector or the pin-up collector!
This advertising tin has a great graphic quality. Made by the Wm. B. Reily Company in New Orleans, it probably dates from the 1940’s. The tin measures 5 ¼” tall, 4 inches across and has its original lid. Both the base and the lid have darkened over time and have some rust spots. At the front base of the tin, over the word “Reily”, there is a small indentation. Overall, the lithography is clean and sharp, with only minor scratches here and there.
This is a super addition to an advertising tin collection, a black memorabilia collection and/or an interesting
decorative item in your kitchen or family room.
For more information on this items please follow link below to our store >>>
We love advertising items and the history
behind them. This colorful plate was made
sometime after 1892, when the D.E. McNicol
Company was incorporated in East Liverpool Ohio.
Our best estimate is the 1920’s.
This 7 inch plate was a giveaway by the J.A. Lednicky
Stores, which were in Everest, Purcell and Huron,
Kansas, all of which is printed in gold at the bottom.
The central motif features a male pheasant in front
of a stand of birch trees; at the lower right there is a
signature: “Daudin.” The embossed and scalloped
outer rim is encircled with peach lustre and there are
peach lustre designs along the inner rim. There is no
crazing and there are no cracks or chips. During the
application of the gilt printing at the bottom, a bit of
it was dripped to the left of the printing. The reverse
is marked with the D.E. McNicol, East Liverpool, O.,
mark and W17, probably a stock number.
As a historical footnote, Mr. John A. Lednicky was,
according to census information, born about 1862
in either Austria or Czechoslovakia. In the 1900
census, he is listed as 38 years old and married. By
1940, he had disappeared from the census rolls.